Before the interview
- Research into the company by finding out as much as possible about what the company do, their products/services, number of employees, their culture and reputation. You can ask your consultant for these details and why not check out the company’s website for further information.
- Make sure you are aware of the full job description and what the job entails. To ensure you have a good understanding of the job role, ask your consultant to go over the job specification in detail and make as many notes a possible.
- The interviewer may have already seen your CV, but it is always advisable to take a copy with you and think about those skills and attributes you have that you can highlight to any interviewer.
- If you have any certificates and references always take them with you, you may not be asked for them at interview stage but at least you will be prepared should the interviewer wish to see them or take down details.
- Make sure you have directions or a map and know the best route. Plan your time well - test the route out beforehand and consider rush hour traffic. REMEMBER punctuality is very important, aim to arrive 15 minutes before your interview time.
- Prepare relevant questions about the job role and company (See our guide to ‘Useful Questions’)
- Are you well groomed? Have you considered clothes, hair, make-up, shoes, jewellery and overall appearance? When attending an interview it is always recommended you are smart, professional, neat and conservative. At interview 1st impressions count!
There are many different types of interview and it helps to know what style of interview to expect, some styles of interview include:
Panel Interview – More than one person will be conducting the interview
One-to-One Interview – One person will be conducting the interview
Criteria Based Interview – You will be required to give examples of situations based on the set criteria
Assessment Centre – You may be required to take part in group exercises, individual role-play’s and spelling/arithmetic testsBack